MARATHON, Fla. — Florida Keys authorities say a drunken man from Rhode Island stole a forklift and crashed into a gate, telling deputies he lost his car keys and needed something to drive.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that 44-year-old Edward Quinton of Greenwich, Rhode Island told deputies he was in the Keys helping friends move.
Quinton was quoted as saying that after he lost his keys Thursday night, he needed a vehicle and took the forklift from a Marathon marina because he knew how to drive one. Quinton also told deputies he thought he could fix the damaged gate.
Breath tests showed Quinton’s blood-alcohol level was twice Florida’s legal limit. He faces drunk-driving, criminal mischief, burglary and grand theft charges.
Jail records listed no attorney for Quinton.
Richard Lloyd told deputies he wanted to “run the Arabs out of our country” so he pushed a dumpster in front of the Port St. Lucie store and set the contents on fire, Mascara said in a news release posted on Facebook.
Lloyd told detectives he assumed the owner was Muslim and that angered him because of “what they are doing in the Middle East,” Mascara said.
“It’s unfortunate that Mr. Lloyd made the assumption that the store owners were Arabic when, in fact, they are of Indian descent,” Mascara said. Continue reading “Florida Man Tries to Set Convenience Store On Fire to ‘Run the Arabs Out of Our Country,’ Sheriff Says”
Stephen Gutierrez, who was arguing that his client’s car spontaneously combusted and was not intentionally set on fire, had been fiddling in his pocket as he was about to address jurors when smoke began billowing out his right pocket, witnesses told the Miami Herald.
He rushed out of the Miami courtroom, leaving spectators stunned. After jurors were ushered out, Gutierrez returned unharmed, with a singed pocket, and insisted it wasn’t a staged defense demonstration gone wrong, observers said.
Instead, Gutierrez blamed a faulty battery in an e-cigarette, witnesses told the Miami Herald.
“It was surreal,” one observer told the Miami Herald. Continue reading “Miami lawyer’s pants erupt in flames during arson trial in court”
PALM COAST – An argument between two teenagers and sellers at a Girl Scout cookies stand outside the Wal-Mart in Palm Coast turned loud, violent and ended with boxes of cookies “strewn all over the sidewalk and frantic patrons everywhere” on Saturday, according to the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office.
- Argument over owed $20 and Girl Scout cookies
- 2 teenagers, ages 18 and 16, were arrested
- 3 people suffered injuries during the dispute
The confrontation began at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Wal-Mart located on Cypress Point Parkway.
Daniel Kennedy, 18, of Bunnell, and his 16-year-old brother approached the Girl Scout stand outside the store, which was being handled by Lisa Ketchum and Angela Bull.
Bull told deputies that the two were approached at the booth by a woman, later identified as Erin Kennedy, and her two sons who indicated Lisa Ketchum’s daughter owed them $20. Bull said they demanded the money, but when they were denied, they asked for the payment in Girl Scout cookies.
Bull told them they couldn’t do that because the money belongs to the Girl Scouts.
As the altercation intensified, Bull told deputies in a report that the two males eventually knocked the boxes of cookies off the table and also knocked over the table.
The two males then got physical with Lisa Ketchum, her husband and their son.
Ketchum said her husband and son happened to walk out of the store while this was happening and attempted to stop the two males from leaving the scene before deputies arrived.
A report states Thomas Ketchum Sr. was then struck by the two males. Their son, Thomas Ketchum Jr., was also reportedly struck by Daniel Kennedy and forced into Wal-Mart’s concrete wall.
Lisa Ketchum was struck by Daniel Kennedy in the head and face area, a report states.
Erin Kennedy told deputies that she and her two sons confronted the Girl Scout leaders “over money that was possibly stolen several months prior by one of the other Girl Scouts,” a report states.
Erin Kennedy said she is experiencing financial hardships and “just wanted to get the $20 to help make ends meet,” a report states.
Kennedy told deputies that her sons became agitated when they were told they couldn’t get cookies instead of the $20 and that’s when they knocked the cookies off the table. The mother’s recollection differs from other witness accounts, and she told deputies her boys were calm, apologized and then picked up the cookies and placed them back on the table.
“But video surveillance and the scene itself makes no indication that those actions of remorse or apology took place,” a deputy wrote in a report.
Thomas Ketchum Sr. told deputies that he held the Kennedys’ grocery cart as the disturbance happened because he wanted to keep them on scene until deputies arrived. Daniel Kennedy then reportedly pushed away from Ketchum Sr. and began striking the man with his fist, a report states.
Based on information obtained at the scene and accounts from witnesses and victims, Daniel Kennedy and his brother were deemed to be the primary aggressors over the $20.
“The scene itself was mass chaos with a table flipped over, multiple boxes of Girl Scout cookies strewn all over the sidewalk and multiple frantic patrons,” a deputy wrote in a report.
Daniel Kennedy was arrested and charged with three counts of simple battery and one count of disorderly conduct. His brother, whose name wasn’t released, was charged with one count of simple battery and one count of disorderly conduct.
Both were taken to the Flagler County Inmate Facility. The 16-year-old was released to his mother and has a March 10 court appearance.
OCALA – An 18-year-old man said he purposefully backed his Ford F-150 onto a Toyota Camry on Wednesday afternoon following a road rage incident in order to protect his girlfriend and an 11-month-old who was in the pickup truck, police said.
According to an arrest affidavit, Adalberto Aponte, 53, said he got into a verbal disturbance that ended when Zach Waring placed his pickup truck into reverse and backed up onto Aponte’s Camry.
Waring told police that Aponte had been driving recklessly since he appeared behind Waring’s truck. Waring said Aponte almost caused multiple crashes, and when he reached a red light at the intersection of Southwest 42nd Street and Southwest 27th Avenue, Aponte got out of his Camry, walked directly to Waring’s open driver’s window and “began to strike him in the face through the window multiple times,” police said.
The victim’s girlfriend yelled that there was a gun in the truck when Waring was unable to stop Aponte from punching him, a report states. There wasn’t a gun in the pickup truck, police said.
According to the report, Aponte said, “I’ll show you a real gun.” Continue reading “Florida Man defensively parks his gigantic truck on top of road-raging Camry”
Update: Environmental activists have started a petition urging Florida lawmakers to prevent FPL from storing waste underground
South Florida sits atop two gigantic underground stores of water: the Biscayne and Floridan Aquifers. Miamians get most of their drinking water from the upper Biscayne Aquifer, while the government has used the lower portion of the Floridian to dump waste and untreated sewage — despite the fact that multiple studies have warned that waste could one day seep into the drinking water. Continue reading “FPL Wins Battle to Store Radioactive Waste Under Miami’s Drinking Water Aquifer”
STUART — A man accused of hitting his girlfriend with a sex toy and punching her after she criticized him was arrested, a report states.
The 58-year-old woman identified as the victim flagged down a deputy and asked him to call the police, saying she’d been beat up. The deputy told her he was the police and asked what happened.
She said her live-in boyfriend — Pritsch — “punched her in the face because, as they were having sex, she told him, ‘You’re not a man, you’re a mouse,’ in reference to his apparent inability to perform,” the report states. Continue reading “Florida Man beats girlfriend with sex toy because of his ‘inability to perform’”
OCALA, Fla. – An Ocala man is accused of conspiring to bomb Target stores from New York to Florida in order to cheaply buy stocks.
Federal investigators said Mark Barnett, 48, offered someone $10,000 to put homemade bombs in the stores.
According to a criminal complaint, the unnamed family member received 10 homemade bombs, which were disguised in food packaging, last week and called a probation officer, who called law enforcement
Federal prosecutors said Barnett also provided the confidential source gloves, a mask and a license plate cover.
Investigators said the suspect thought the explosions would make Target stocks plummet, which would let him buy cheap shares that he would sell for a profit once the stock prices rebounded.
Investigators used the person whom Barnett asked to do the job to get more information about Barnett’s plans.
The confidential source used a recording device for the meeting on Tuesday.
Officials said the bombs Barnett built were capable of causing serious injury and property damage.
His neighbor, Patrick Pitter, said Barnett moved in about six months ago and appeared to be a nice, normal guy.
“I’m speechless, really,” Pitter said. “I’m shocked, to say the least.”
Barnett faces a decade in prison on charges of possession of a firearm affecting commerce by a previously convicted felon.
He was already on probation and wearing a court-ordered GPS monitor for a number of felony offenses, including kidnapping, multiple counts of sexual battery with a weapon or force and grand theft.
The teacher found the child chewing on a used condom at a playground at St. Lucie Elementary.
The child’s parents went to the ER to get tests done for sexually transmitted diseases.
“One of my grandchildren is in the first grade and he is on that same playground,” said Teresa Walker, a grandmother of four. “I was in shock.”
According to reports, school security told police it’s not the first time they’ve had to remove similar items from school grounds.